Revisional Rhinoplasty is a procedure for correcting prior surgery on the nose, and is known as a ‘secondary nose job’ or ‘secondary rhinoplasty’.
Am I a good candidate for a SECONDARY nose job?
Not every patient is satisfied or happy with the outcome of their first nose surgery or primary Rhinoplasty. If your level of dissatisfaction with an earlier nose job is at a high enough level, you may be seeking a secondary REVISION RHINOPLASTY (a ‘redo’ of your original nose job). Please be aware that not everything you dislike about your nose can be remedied in a revision nose surgery or secondary Rhinoplasty; but our Surgeons are happy to give you a professional opinion and they are nose surgery experts for Rhinoplasty and revisions.
Why do people request Revision Rhinoplasty or second nose surgery (further plastic surgery)?
- Requests for secondary rhinoplasty or revision nose surgery often relate to patients not fully anticipating HOW CHANGES to their nose shape or size will IMPACT their TOTAL FACIAL appearance.
- Sometimes the desire for revision nose surgery relates to a need for further refinement OR correction of functional aspects (Septoplasty procedures).
- Secondary procedures are often even more complex than the original procedure; be certain you have expert advice from a Plastic Surgeon who has proven to get great results AND who gives you honest advice. Recognise also that secondary nose surgery can be very expensive and that some aspects of your nose may not be suitable to be remedied or changed though a revisional procedure.
- IF too much of the nose cartilage was taken out, however, the surgery becomes far more complex, costly and risky to perform.
- See one of our expert Surgeons for an assessment of what REVISION NOSE SURGERY can accomplish for you.
Phone 0388491444 for information on MELBOURNE revision Rhinoplasty surgery.
Next steps for researching REVISION RHINOPLASTY (Melbourne Australia – in Victoria or Double Bay Sydney)
Download Our Guide to Rhinoplasty
Visit our RHINOPLASTY pages to learn more about our nose surgery experts, all FRACS Plastic Surgeons with expertise in nose shaping and other facial surgeries.
Our Team of Nose Reshaping Surgeons in Melbourne & Sydney include Specialist Plastic Surgeons Dr Richard Sackelariou (Melbourne/Sydney), Dr Douglas McManamny (Melbourne), Dr Richard Maxwell and Dr Geoff Barnett (Melbourne).
- We see many clients who are seeking a highly-qualified Revision Surgery Specialist who can help fix a previously ‘botched’ nose reshaping surgery.
- Our top-ranked Rhinoplasty surgeons MAY be able to help correct a previously botched nose job or a less-than-satisfactory result in either Melbourne or Sydney, depending on which surgeon you choose and which location suits you best for Revisional Rhinoplasty procedures.
- Remember, however, that results vary from patient to patient, there are increased risks with revisional surgery for many patients, and NOT ALL THINGS that go off plan in an original rhinoplasty can be fixed with a revision.
- Plus, you’ll need to wait at least 12 months for the original surgery results to fully settle (swelling can persist for up to a year or more after any nose job procedures).
Phone us on (03) 8849 1444 OR 1 800 033 333 and ask for consultation appointments to find out what CAN (or can’t) be done for your revision nose surgery (secondary Rhinoplasty) procedure.
Plastic Surgery offered for REVISION Rhinoplasty by our Specialist Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne & Sydney
For suitable candidates who meet certain criteria for REVISION surgery, our team MAY be able to assess you for and/or help you with:
- Surgery to revise a prior unsuccessful nasal procedure
- Complex Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Corrective surgery of the nose after a nose trauma or sporting injury or accident
- Revisional techniques to further improve or refine the shape or size or contours of the nose area or nose tip and nostrils after an earlier surgery which did not get you the results you wanted
- Note that REALISTIC expectations are crucial for a good result AND you must understand the risks, recovery period and higher costs of a revision rhinoplasty compared to a primary rhinoplasty surgery.
- Read HOW TO CHOOSE A RHINOPLASTY SURGEON in Australia.
Complicated Surgery Procedures: We MAY be able to help you if you remain unhappy with an earlier Rhinoplasty surgery result and seek a Revision – but not all things that go wrong with a nose job can be fixed.
If at all possible, be sure you choose a top-rated Plastic Surgeon for your original Rhinoplasty procedure the FIRST TIME.
Also understand that facial changes are often more dramatic – or more subtle – than a patient anticipates.
We can help you plan using image manipulation or 3D computer imaging technologies; but noses are unique and heal differently – there is always going to be a degree of variability in results.
For SURGERY RISKS, ask for a consultation with a Revision Rhinoplasty expert in Melbourne or in Sydney.
- Revision Rhinoplasty surgery can help repair both the form & function of a nose that was previously operated on.
- Some patients MAY have difficulty breathing from their noses, or feel they are not happy with the results of prior nasal surgery or Rhinoplasty procedures.
Unsuccessful nasal surgeries are not uncommon, and some people have undergone as many as four, five or even six revisional procedures.
Rhinoplasty BEFORE & AFTER Surgery – Photographs
Why is Revisional Rhinoplasty such a challenge? The Secondary Nose Reshaping Surgery after the first one doesn’t go to plan.
- All Plastic Surgery is difficult and complex, and requires high levels of skill and planning.
- Rhinoplasty surgery for nose reshaping is one of the most difficult of all plastic surgery procedures.
- Revisional Rhinoplasty tends to be an even MORE challenging and complicated than a primary nose reshaping rhinoplasty surgery.
- Hence it is necessary to choose a highly experienced surgeon for your Revision.
Within our large group of leading Specialist Plastic Surgeons, we have some of Australia’s top Revisional Surgeons to help you get the best procedures for your nose surgery revision and the most harmonious outcomes.
- Are you unhappy with the outcome of an earlier nose reshaping procedure?
- Did your prior procedure(s) result in a misshapen nose?
- Is your “new” nose still not in proportion to the rest of your face?
- Do you have unusual lumps or bumps in your nose after Surgery?
- Did your earlier Rhinoplasty Surgery leave you with a crooked or bent nose?
- Do you now have a maligned nose tip?
You may want to consider a Revisional Rhinoplasty Procedure to get the nose you want
- Good candidates for a second RHINOPLASTY surgery or facial procedures are IDEALLY generally healthy individuals who are both physically and psychologically well.
- It is CRUCIAL that all surgery patients do NOT smoke (non-smokers only).
Is is important to be realistic in your expectations. With a prior surgery, there may also be some limitations to work with — but our leading Surgeons can help you assess what the best revision approach will be for your particular nose appearance, shape and size concerns.
You may also need to understand there may be some limitations in what can, or cannot, be achieved in a Rhinoplasty procedure – especially a Revisional Rhinoplasty Procedure
Your Revision Surgery outcome — and how you feel about it — may depend on the extent of your earlier procedures and what impact they had. Our Surgeons will aim to help you understand what surgery can – and cannot – accomplish, so that you can make a fully informed decision about what your potential optimal changes might be and what risks you’ll incur in doing so.
Most of all, they will listen to you and will treat you with dignity and respect. They will also aim to provide the best in Nose Surgery Patient Care including precision surgery skills and extensive experience. They will also use rapid recovery protocols and offer the best practice post-op care including scar minimisation treatments with Fraxel and recovery-facilitation with the Healite II by our Coco Ruby Team.
Skin Grafts, bridge implants, cartilage transfers or dermal filler MAY sometimes be required for Revisional Rhinoplasty Procedures – ask a Surgeon for an assessment.
- Some revisions of ‘botched’ nose jobs or reconstruction surgeries in complex nose injury cases may involve Skin Grafts (skin grafting).
- Tissue Grafts can be harvested from your ear, your ribs or even your temple region, to help restore your nasal cartilage, bone or fascia during your Revision Nose Reshaping Surgery.
- Skin injury and soft tissue damage can impact some Revisional nose reshaping procedures, e.g., there may be tissue issues related to previous scar tissue or injury to the skin.
Time in Surgery:
- Rhinoplasty – 1.5 to 3 hours or more depending on degree of initial complexity
- Revisional Rhinoplasty – 2 to 4 hours depending on complexity and whether or not grafts will be used
Read more about OPEN or CLOSED Rhinoplasty and incision locations on our Rhinoplasty page.
- Closed Rhinoplasty – incision inside nose
- Open Rhinoplasty – small incision under the tip of the nose
Risks of Surgery
Complications associated with Revisional Rhinoplasty are typically similar to RISKS of Primary Rhinoplasty Surgery and general surgery risks.
These may include adverse anesthesia reactions, incomplete improvement, infection, bleeding, infection, congestion, runny nose and the need for additional surgery.
For more information on a Revision RHINOPLASTY surgery to either:
- Fix a botched nose job or unsatisfactory result
- Remedy an unsatisfying nose surgery outcome or nose shape
- Further refine the nose bridge or adjust the nose tip or nostrils
- Correct a subsequent injury after you had a primary Rhinoplasty (nose trauma repair)
- Repair an augmentation that had complications or a failed first-time Septoplasty
Send a confidential contact form (below) to hear back from one of our Patient Care Team or phone 0388491444 or 1800033333 today.
Our Patient Care Coordinators can also help you find out how to best EXPLORE or RESEARCH which surgeon might be a good option for assessment of your original Rhinoplasty results and your Revision nose job options.
Nose Surgery Techniques that MAY be used for SECONDARY or REVISION Rhinoplasty – Overview
- All revision Rhinoplasty surgeries need to be CUSTOM planned using strategic techniques.
- That’s because everybody’s post-rhinoplasty nose shape complaints, breathing difficulties or facial anatomy are unique.
Most REVISION Rhinoplasty is going to use the OPEN method rather than Closed Rhinoplasty approaches (meaning you will have a scar).
Other revision options for original nose surgery results may include a Tip Rhinoplasty or nostril adjustments.
- Open Rhinoplasty vs Closed Rhinoplasty
- NOSE TIP Rhinoplasty
- PRIMARY Rhinoplasty Surgery TERMS and Methods
- Septoplasty Surgery (correction of a deviated septum)
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Download the GUIDE.
Our Team’s Surgeons for Secondary or Revision Rhinoplasty (Septoplasty, Open vs Closed, Tip Rhinoplasty and more)
Our team’s nose surgery revision experts include the following Australian Specialist Plastic, Reconstructive and Reconstructive Surgeons who focus on nose job procedures and advanced Rhinoplasty techniques including Revision Rhinoplasty (secondary procedures):
Dr Douglas McManamny FRACS (Plas) in Melbourne Australia (Victoria) – in Hawthorn East/Kew/Bayside area
Dr Richard Sackelariou, FRACS (Plas) in Melbourne Victoria AND in Sydney Australia – Hawthorn East/Bayside and Double Bay
Other Surgeons on our team who offer face surgery include Dr Geoff Barnett and Dr Richard Maxwell, who are our Team’s additional experts in providing pleasing, natural looking results along with other procedures such as Eyelid Surgery and Facelift surgery.
NOTE: Dr McManamny and Dr Sackelariou have made Rhinoplasty one of their main focus areas for their plastic surgery practices.
COMPLEX REVISIONS are an extremely challenging surgery to perform and NOT all patients realise the LIMITATIONS that may result from a primary nose job (earlier procedure).
NOTE THAT Our Specialist Plastic Surgeon’s may give you a professional OPINION on your surgery goals and REVISION surgery options. NOT ALL patients seeking revisions are suitable candidates for a better result.
We cannot assist ALL patients with ALL secondary Rhinoplasty requirements; especially if a patient has an UNREALISTIC expectations about what a SECONDARY or NOSE JOB REVISION surgery can accomplish.
We will, however, give you HONEST advice. However, if we feel we cannot help you attain what you are hoping to achieve through surgery, we will advise you of our professional opinions and you are welcome to seek a second opinion from another FRACS Plastic Surgeon.
Some alternatives may include skin grafting, cartilage grafting, cosmetic injections or more patience to allow the original results to settle (swelling after a nose job can last for 12 months or more).
Phone 0388491444 for details.
Our team of GENUINE accredited SPECIALIST Plastic Surgeons’ affiliations include:
To choose the BEST Rhinoplasty Surgeon for YOUR revision nose job, be sure you check their qualifications, experience, skills and Membership.
If they are NOT recognised by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) as Specialist Plastic, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgeons, they may not be your best option (avoid less trained surgeons or junior doctors in training for this complex surgical procedure).
Revision Nose Surgery – Hospitals and Surgeons in Melbourne or Sydney
A GOOD choice of hospital is one that is a genuine, highly respected Melbourne or Sydney hospital where Rhinoplasty surgery is frequently performed. Depending on your choice of Surgeon for Rhinoplasty procedures, you may have your nose reshaping surgery in one of the following Hospital locations in Melbourne or Sydney (these may vary depending on your choice of Surgeon): Sydney surgery – 1800 033 333
A GOOD choice of hospital is one that is a genuine, highly respected Melbourne or Sydney hospital where Rhinoplasty surgery is frequently performed.
Depending on your choice of Surgeon for Rhinoplasty procedures, you may have your nose reshaping surgery in one of the following Hospital locations in Melbourne or Sydney (these may vary depending on your choice of Surgeon):
Sydney surgery – 1800 033 333
- Cosmetic nose reshaping surgery is NEVER eligible for a rebate from Medicare and health insurance.
- MOST REVISION surgery is NOT eligible for any form of rebate or coverage.
- However, if you have serious medical reasons for needing a REVISION Rhinoplasty or secondary Septoplasty, you MIGHT be eligible for a rebate for SOME of your costs.
- Read the article MEDICARE and Rhinoplasty that discusses recent changes to conditions and rebate criteria including for revision rhinoplasty.
- Extensive paperwork, assessments and photographic evidence is required for any rebates and NOT all patients will be eligible.
- Medicare codes and rebate criteria for Plastic Surgery such as Revision Rhinoplasty surgery change frequently with little notice and recent changes DID IMPACT secondary nose surgery – very few if any patients will be eligible for cover.
- Your surgery will NOT be covered by your PRIVATE HEALTH FUND such as BUPA or AIH IF you have NO eligibility for a Medicare Item Code.
- Read about 2019 changes to Australia Health Insurance Funds and Private Health classifications such as Gold, Silver, Bronze and Basic.
- This could impact you in 2019 – phone our team to discuss potential implications on 0388491444.
Photographs of RHINOPLASTY Surgery Results
Visit the BEFORE AND AFTER NOSE SURGERY gallery.
Next Steps for a Consultation for REVISION RHINOPLASTY Surgery
- Phone us or send in an enquiry form via our website to book a consultation with one of our Plastic Surgeons for Revisional Rhinoplasty OR phone (03) 8849 1444
- Check out a bigger list of FAQ’s and information on the surgical process, or attend one of the free-to-attend monthly Events in Melbourne.
- For more information about Pricing and accepted Payment methods of your Rhinoplasty Surgery, please visit our Surgery Payment Method pages.
- You can also talk to a Patient Care Team to answer your questions from 8am-6pm Monday through to Friday on (03) 8849 1444.
- Our Plastic Surgeons perform a variety of Rhinoplasty procedures including Septoplasty, Full Rhinoplasty, Asian Rhinoplasty & Revisional Rhinoplasty procedures.
- NOT ALL PATIENTS will be suitable, good candidates for Revisional Rhinoplasty techniques.
- Our Surgeons will assess which procedure(s) are likely to suit your particular revision needs (if applicable/attainable).
- They may suggest WHICH particular surgical techniques or surgery options MAY help optimise your chances of getting a more pleasing surgery result the second time IF YOU ARE a good canddiate AND understand your need to stay realistic about what can (and CANNOT) be accomplished through a secondary nose surgery.
Phone us today for assistance.