Early Withdrawal of Super Fund for Plastic Surgery – what’s important to know? The first thing you’ll want to know is that applications for early release of SUPER for surgery are MADE through the ATO via your MYGOV account. The second thing to understand is that it’s no guaranteed to be approved and super for surgery rules are subject to sudden changes.
Applying for Early Release of SUPER FUNDS for Surgery (Withdrawal before your preservation age)
Many patients ask us if they can use early access their SUPER FUND to pay for surgery for plastic surgery procedures.
- This is not uncommon for patients seeking skin reduction after weight loss or bariatric surgery, breast reduction, corrective rhinoplasty and eyelid procedures.
The answer as to whether or not your application will be APPROVED for early super release for surgery is:
- it depends on your needs and your financial situation
- applications need to be made through the ATO via your MYGOV and ATO account (online)
- early release of SUPER policies are subject to sudden rule changes by governments
Policies for early super withdrawal are under review.
If you apply for early release:
- your condition must meet certain criteria to apply for compassionate release of funds
- it is often only granted for medically necessary plastic surgery not cosmetic surgery
- it can take several weeks for your application to be approved (about 2 to 3 weeks or longer)
- your SUPER FUND company may have the FINAL SAY in whether or not you will be approved for early release
When it comes to early release of Superannuation for Surgery, some Super Funds allow early super withdrawal for procedures, Some SUPER FUNDS do not.
PLEASE NOTE: Our practice is NOT a credit provider.
Will SUPER help? Paying for Plastic Surgery
- Several recent patients have been able to access their accumulated Superannuation Funds to pay for their own life-changing surgery.
- There is a special government process to follow and many forms to fill out, but it could be a possibility.
Early release may most likely apply to plastic surgery related to health concern treatments, such as:
- Abdominoplasty or Lipectomy after weight loss
- Breast Reduction where heavy breasts lead to physical pains and chronic skin conditions
- Body Contouring or Skin Reduction Surgery after weight loss or Bariatric Surgery
- Corrective Rhinoplasty after a nose injury or breathing problem
Can your Superannuation Fund be used to PAY for your Plastic Surgery?
In most cases, Australians cannot unlock their Super until they reach ”preservation age”.
This is between 55 and 60, depending on your birth date.
- But, under exceptional circumstances, the ATO will assess early access on ”compassionate grounds”, which include medical procedures to treat life-threatening illnesses and chronic pain.
- Your Super fund will make the final decision to release the money.
- Not all super funds permit early access of super benefits on these grounds, so you should check with your super fund before applying.
Download Our Excess Skin Reduction Guide
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment or ask questions about payment methods for surgery.
Affiliations of our expert Plastic Surgeons
Our team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons’ affiliations include:
*Disclaimer: Information about PAYMENT METHODS and EARLY SUPER RELEASE on our surgery website is for GENERAL information and discussion purposes only.
- This information has been compiled without taking into account your personal situation, financial needs or responsibilities.
- Before acting on information about funding your plastic surgery procedure or payment methods, you should carefully consider its appropriateness, with regard to and professional advice about your individual financial situation and needs.
- The information on this website is also NO substitute for financial advice and is subject to change.
Find out about SURGERY options for Plastic Surgery or Cosmetic Procedures:
Visit our Downloadable Guides page for more information about Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery options and research in Australia.
You’re also welcome to register for an EVENT or phone 0388491444.
Note our Plastic Surgeons may provide PLASTIC SURGERY in one or more of these accredited Australian hospitals:
- St Vincent’s Private Hospital – Kew
- Masada Private Hospital – St Kilda
- Epworth Hospital – Hawthorn
- Epworth Hospital – Richmond
- Epworth Hospital – Cliveden
- St John Of God Hospital – Berwick
- The Avenue Hospital – Windsor
RESOURCES and REFERENCES
Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Find specialist plastic surgeons), Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Patient Safety Regulated by Plastic Surgery Regulation Laws), Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (Information for patients), Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency AHPRA (Register of practitioners), Health Victoria (The Department of Health and Human Services)
Want more information before scheduling a consultation with your Surgeon
- DOWNLOAD A GUIDE about the procedure or contact us
- Visit our FAQ pages, learn more about your procedure and also have a look at our BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS.
- Attend a FREE MONTHLY INFORMATION EVENING and hear from our Team of Specialist Plastic Surgeons and past patients.
Please Contact Us using the form below to arrange a consultation with one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons or to speak with our Patient Care Team on (03) 8849 1444.